…This website is designed to highlight the vast array of programs and services we offer in order to help students navigate these questions and decisions. Based on our extensive work with students, employers, and graduate and professional school admissions officers, we know that the most successful students are those who take the initiative to inquire about and to utilize career services. You can support your student in this process by being well-informed about our resources and encouraging him or her to take advantage of the expert services at UCS.
Because the career development process is complex and highly individualized, we have arranged this information in a variety of ways to help you identify the tools that best serve the current needs of your student. First, we invite you to explore our Career Development Wheel, which represents the full range of stages that many students experience. Although the wheel is organized in sections, the process is not linear and there is no “right” way to proceed. The career development specialists at UCS are eager to work with students to tailor our available resources and services to fit their unique needs.
Another way to learn about our available services is the list of common questions/issues that students bring to UCS. Since we know many parents frequently identify questions and issues before their students do, we have outlined these universal considerations along with suggestions for specific resources and action steps to encourage your student to participate fully in their career exploration.
Additionally, we have arranged the overview of our programs and services by year. A word of caution—because the career development process occurs differently for each student, it is common for students to make use of programs and services at varying times in their college experience. Please encourage your student not to limit him/herself to the year-by-year steps but to branch out as needed.
We hope you find this website helpful and that you will use this information to coach your student in taking the initiative to engage our services for navigating the career process during college. If your son or daughter has additional questions, please encourage him/her to call UCS (434-924-8900) to schedule an appointment. We are here to assist and serve your student!
— University Career Services Staff
Programs & Services to Empower Your Student
- Parents Handbook from the Vice President for Student Affairs
- Walk-ins & Appointments with Career Counselors
- Preparing for PreLaw and Health Professions Careers
- Experiential Education with Externships or Internships
- Utilize Self-Assessment Tests (e.g. SII and MBTI)
- Family Weekend Open House event information
- Programs, Workshops & Events for U.Va. Students
- UCS Library
- UCAN - The University Career Assistance Network
- Graduate and Undergraduate Record
- Parents Program
- Academic Departments at U.Va.
- What are recent U.Va. Alumni doing after graduation?
Specific UCS Handouts
- A Four Year Career Plan
- A Parent's Guide
- Choosing and Using Your Major
- Interviewing for Employment
- Employers Rank Candidates Qualities
Specific Books from the UCS Library
The University Career Services Library in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium is open Monday through Friday; 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. There is a section of the library with resources for parents and families. Some books may be checked out (one per week); whereas, others are for reference only and may not be checked out. We provide comfortable reading spaces, access to computers, and a copier/printer which accepts Cavalier Advantage, so feel free to drop by anytime!
- Career Coaching Your Kids
- Helping Your College Student Succeed: The Parent’s Crash Course in Career Planning
- The College Career Road Map: A Four-Year Guide to Coaching Your Student
- How to Help Your Child Land the Right Job
Looking for a specific title? The UCS library is searchable through our online database