Professional & Graduate School Fair
September 24, 2014
12:00 pm–4:00 pm
Newcomb Hall, 3rd Floor
RECRUITERS: Please click here!
Once a year in the Fall semester, University Career Services sponsors the Professional & Graduate School Fair. Graduate school representatives attend this fair to meet University of Virginia students and recruit for their graduate programs. Students will have an opportunity to learn about particular schools and gain an early start on the graduate school application process.
If you are thinking about going to graduate school, this is the event to learn more about what options are available to you. Students may meet with school representatives face-to-face, which allows for personal interaction in asking questions of a specific school. You can:
- Explore the possibilities of graduate and professional education.
- Learn about the requirements for programs.
- Gain detailed information about various schools and their programs.
- Gather materials you can review later.
- Network with professionals in your future field, some of which are University of Virginia alums.
Students are not required to pre-register and can simply check-in at the registration desk when they arrive.
Ways to Prepare
Sample Questions to Ask
You should prepare questions for information you need that you cannot find elsewhere. Below are some sample questions but feel free to ask any question relevant to a particular program.
- Are graduate assistantships available?
- What resources are available to help students find positions after graduation?
- Will I have a choice about where I do my internship/field experience?
- Are students admitted in both fall and spring semesters?
- Is it possible to work full-time and complete the degree as a part-time student?
- What types of financial aid are available (fellowships, assistantships, scholarships, loans)?
- Could you tell me more about student life on campus? (student organizations, housing, support groups, diversity of the students)
- What is the ratio of faculty to students?
- Do you have joint degree programs?
- What is the location surrounding the school like? (mountains, ocean, rural, city)
- How do you weigh the exam score and GPA of applicants?