UCS Program Request
For U.Va. Department Representatives and Student Organization Group Presentations
- Program requests for the 2013-14 academic year are now being accepted for dates on or after September 16th, 2013. Please keep in mind program request forms need to be received two weeks prior to the proposed program date.
- If you would like for University Career Services (UCS) to come to your organization, class, or event and make a presentation please click the link to request a presentation below. Feel free to browse the programs we have available and find which topic would best serve your organization. UCS will work with you to schedule a program at a mutually convenient time. Often, late afternoon/early evening times or lunch hour times work well. We prefer to have groups come to UCS for programs in order to have the opportunity to show students UCS library resources; however, other locations can be accommodated when appropriate.
- Although they can be shortened, these programs typically last 45 minutes and when combined with an overview of UCS programs and services may last up to 1 hour.
- Complete the Program Request Form at least 2 weeks before the desired program date. Only one program topic area may be requested at a time. A UCS staff member will contact you to follow up on your request. You may request a specific UCS staff member in the comments section. Presentations are conducted by UCS staff and/or Career Peer Educators.
- Faculty and Staff
- To discuss options for programs, please call our main line at (434) 924-8900 or contact the appropriate staff member for your topic.
- Orientation to UCS * request this program
- Are you an RA or a student leader wanting to orient your residents or organization members to all the resources available at UCS? Not sure where to start? Request this program to have a UCS staff member or Career Peer Educator discuss the variety of ways students can engage with our office. This workshop can be conducted on-site or at University Career Services in Bryant Hall.
- Resume Writing * request this program
- Did you know that employers spend an average of 15 - 30 seconds reviewing a resume? Learn how to make yours stand out! This interactive presentation allows you to learn the strategies and techniques the professionals use to improve your resume. Also, get the opportunity to utilize the skills learned to critique an actual resume.
- Internship Search Strategies * request this program
- Internships are a great way to develop specific skills and knowledge, as well as make contacts and build confidence. Let University Career Services help you explore the many ways you can gain experience as well as learn strategies for finding the internships that can help you in your career path.
- Job Search Strategies * request this program
- Utilizing different resources gives you a better chance of being successful in your search. This presentation focuses on sharing resources and steps to help make your job seach more effective and will help you find jobs that compliment you. Let University Career Services help you find the resources to make your search more efficient.
- Career Fairs 101 * request this program
- Planning to attend an upcoming career fair? Request this group session where a UCS Staff Member or UCS Career Peer Educator will review with you strategies for marketing yourself and gathering the information that will help you stand out to recruiters during career fairs and throughout the application process!
- LinkedIn: Creating Your Profile * request this program
- Not sure what LinkedIn can do for your job/internship search or exploration? Not sure how to create or improve your profile? Request this program to have a UCS Staff Member or UCS Career Peer Educators lead a session on how to get started using LinkedIn. They'll give you tips on how to improve your profile as well as utilize search features to connect with alums, learn about companies, and help you take the next step in your career exploration process.
* Denotes programs often filled by Career Peer Educators.
Need a program on a topic other than those listed here? Contact us for more information about creating a customized program for your group.
UCS Program Sponsorship
UCS can help you publicize your upcoming program or event. If you have an upcoming event, please contact us for more information on how we can support your event through publicity on our social media platforms, newsletters and in our office on our waiting area monitors. Events must be directly related to the career development of University students. UCS does offer financial support for programs/events.
Faculty and Staff
If you have an upcoming program or event and would like to seek co-sponsorship, please contact us for more information.